FIRST THE BAD…..
Its no doubt you have the seen the headlines – SUGAR IS NOT GOOD FOR US! The average American is over-consuming sugar on a daily basis without even realizing it. Sugar is hiding in most processed and packaged foods as well as many typical juice and coffee drinks, and of course desserts such as cakes, cookies, and ice cream.
So what’s the big deal about sugar?
Here are 10 reasons why you should cut processed sugar out of your diet!
- Sugar contains a lot of calories with no essential nutrients.
- Sugar causes tooth decay by feeding the harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- Eating large amounts of fructose from added sugars can lead to fat in the liver.
- When people eat a lot of sugar, it can cause resistance to the hormone insulin, which can contribute to many diseases.
- Because of the harmful effects of sugar on insulin function, it is a leading driver of type II diabetes.
- Sugar has harmful effects on your metabolism
- Calories from sugar aren’t as fulfilling as other foods that contain protein or fat and this can translate into an increased calorie intake and overeating.
- Sugar can cause addiction and endless cravings for junk food and sweets.
- Sugar produces an artificial “high” and soon after leads to a energy crash.
- Most foods that contain high amounts of harmful sugar are processed junk foods we should be avoiding anyway.
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST , THE GOOD…..
The good news is you don’t have to completely eliminate all sugar from your life. Some natural sugars are ok to eat in moderation. They are……
- raw honey
- 100% pure stevia
- coconut sugar
- date sugar
- maple syrup
- fruit (FYI berries have the lowest amount of natural sugars so these make a great healthy snack!)
Avoid any and ALL artificial sweeteners as these contain toxic chemicals that are harmful to your overall health.
So next time you are looking for a sweet treat grab some dates or think frozen fruit or a fruit smoothie made with frozen berries, banana, coconut milk, and ice! Yummy, sweet, satisfying, and healthy with NO GUILT! Get creative and use natural sugars to satisfy your sweet tooth!