Fat is NOT bad for you!
When you eat fat as part of your meal, it can actually slow down your food absorption so that you can go longer without feeling hungry!
Fats are fulfilling, hearty, and satisfying and your body really craves and needs good fats.
The good saturated fats found in pastured meat/dairy, eggs from pastured chickens and palm/coconut products play a vital role in the health of our bones, support the immune system, and guard against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.
Saturated fat is a critical component of our diets and should NOT be avoided.
Here are the various ways we NEED saturated fats
- Cell membranes should be 50% saturated fatty acids
- Saturated fats protect the liver from alcohol and other poisons
- Our lungs and kidneys can’t function without saturated fats
- The immune system is enhanced by saturated fats
- Saturated fats support the body’s own detox mechanisms
- The brain is 60% fat
- The heart muscle prefers saturated fat for energy
- Saturated fats signal satiety and have a crucial role in appetite signaling
Here are FAT’s to AVOID
- Trans fats (hydrogenated fats and oils)
- refined corn
- safflower and sunflower
Healthy Fats We Should Be Eating
- tallow and other animal fats from humanly raised pastured animals
- palm oil
- coconut oil
- olive oil
- and cod liver oil.
- Avocados, olives, and coconuts are great sources of healthy fat, along with wild salmon and omega-3 rich organic eggs
- Whole nuts and seeds, and their butters like almond butter or tahini
Look for the highest-quality organic oils when shopping. Words to look for: organic, first-pressed, cold-pressed, extra-virgin, and unrefined. Avoid expeller-pressed, refined, and solvent extracted.
Cholesterol rich foods like eggs, organ meats, meat fats, butter, and seafood supply critical nutrients such as choline, arachidonic acid, and fat soluble vitamins A,D,E and K.
High-quality fats can steady our metabolism, keep hormone levels even, nourish our skin, hair, and nails, and provide lubrication to keep the body functioning fluidly.
Eating more good fat and less grain carbs plus exercise will switch your body into a fat burning machine!
Be Well 🙂