With Fall comes Chili! Its like a rite of passage along with going to the cider mill, picking apples, and Halloween fun. Fall in our house just isn’t the same without a great big pot of chili cooking away on the stove!
But BEWARE! Chili can be a diet disaster full of BPA canned beans, processed meat, and artificial seasoning packs.
But it doesn’t have to be that way, not when you make it in your own kitchen!
I love chili because I LOAD it up with TONS of veggies, pastured ground meats, even grass fed liver!
This Fall don’t settle for the same ol’ chili with the same ol’ ingredients! BUMP IT UP!
Here are my 7 tips to bump your chili up to SUPERFOOD status!
- To start, put as many veggies as you can into your food processor and dice up finely. I use onions, peppers, carrots, celery, garlic, even kale. Pulse the veggies until they are completely diced (usually amounts to 2-3 cups of veggies). Add this into your pot first and sauté with a good ghee or grass fed butter.
- Use organic pastured beef, chicken, or turkey to add in some powerful protein. This is also where you can sneak in liver if you like. Chop it up finely and add right into the ground meat. Saute until cooked through with the veggies.
- Add in QUALITY ORGANIC tomato base NOT FROM A CAN. I use this brand that comes in glass jars. Canned tomatoes because of the acidity have an especially high risk of leaching BPA into the tomatoes. You can also add in beans (kidney and black) from BPA FREE cans or leave them out if you like (paleo).
- Add in herbs like chopped fresh cilantro and your own spices such as organic chili powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, and mineral rich sea salt. I even sneak in turmeric!!!!
- Sprinkle in coconut vinegar to give it a kick! This also adds in extra vitamins plus healthy prebiotics for digestive health.
- Eat you chili over a bed of greens like baby spinach to really make the most out of this meal!
- To top it all off add in some healthy fats with a few chunks of raw cheddar cheese or a sprinkle of sprouted sunflower seeds.