Being a mom to four kids we have had our fair share of illness throughout the fall and winter months. My first daughter seemed to get everything from ear-aches to croup. I always cringed when I knew summer was over because that meant “sick” season was starting. We would head to the pediatrician and surprise, surprise……another prescription. We were completely miserable and fed up with the “system” of chronic sick care.
I started to do research and quickly realized the simple changes I could do for my child that would help boost her immune system naturally. This meant when bacteria/viruses came in her path her own body would be strong to fight it off!
I have found ways to keep my family healthy through Fall and Winter that I don’t even bat an eye over flu season. It doesn’t scare me anymore!
The power is in my hands!
First, We have made the appropriate diet and lifestyle changes throughout the years to get our bodies in the best state of health we can. That means we have all made some major changes to our eating and drinking habits. We eat a mostly primal diet in our home (raw, minimally processed foods such as fruits, vegetables, pastured meats, wild fish, pastured eggs, nuts/seeds, healthy fats).
We work everyday to teach our kids about the benefits of REAL food and avoiding fake,cheap,processed, packaged foods. Are we perfect? NO!!!!!!!! But 95% of the time we stay on track!!!
Also to naturally support our immunity I have found some God given natural remedies every mom and dad should have in their home doctor kit. These have worked wonders in our home. If our children do come down with an illness it is almost ALWAYS short lived. This is not coincidence! This is not luck! This is diligent research, trial, and ultimately seeing fruition once it works!
Homeopathic medicine and natural remedies are meant to support our body through illness and recovery.
If you or your kids are always getting sick its time to take a good hard look at whats REALLy going on. Most Americans don’t really want to hear the truth about their ailments, because deep down inside they know that means they have to make some major changes to their eating and drinking habits.
Its hard to talk people out of mainstream lies and into the natural truths. Still, I hope I can help your family begin the conversation that stirs your own health revelations!!
Here are my favorite Natural Remedies and supplements to help keep my family healthy all winter long.
- ESSENTIAL OILS – oh man could I go on forever about these concentrated miracle oils but I will focus on just a few. ~First off, I only trust and use Young Living essential oils.~
- *RC* for coughs and croup (diffuse in bedroom at bedtime)
- *SniffleEase* for allergies/colds (diffuse in home and bedroom)
- *Peppermint* for headaches and muscle aches
- *Lavender* for skin issues (always use a carrier oil) and (diffuse) to promote calm at bedtime
- *Thieves* for flu (diffuse in home often during flu season)
- *Lemon* for everyday energy and vitality.
- RAW HONEY – raw unpasteurized honey has been shown to be as effective in treating coughs as over-the-counter commercial cough syrups and much safer! For a cough, a half teaspoon to two teaspoons of honey at bedtime is a recommended dosage for anyone over the age of one and bonus no side effects!
- GARLIC – Garlic’s antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal properties can help relieve the common cold as well as other infections. If I am coming down with anything I usually crush up a clove, swallow it, and chase it down with kombucha. Another great way is to make and eat garlic soup throughout the winter.
- ELDERBERRY SYRUP – Elderberries are a nutritional powerhouse for good health! This natural remedy has a long history of medicinal use dating back to Ancient Egypt. The health benefits of the elder plant include improving colds, flu, sinus issues, nerve pain, inflammation, chronic fatigue, and allergies. Here is my homemade elderberry syrup recipe. Take 1 tablespoon a day through the winter.
- COD LIVER OIL – my family and I all take CLO everyday! CLO provides critical vitamin D especially needed in the winter months. Cod liver oil is an old tried and true remedy that boosts immunity and reduces the risk of upper respiratory infections. Even my mom said when she was young her mom gave her a teaspoon of “coddie” everyday!
- PROBIOTICS-great to use to shorten the duration of those nasty stomach bugs. New studies suggest probiotic’s like these may also help prevent respiratory infections like the common cold. Take everyday throughout the winter months and throughout the whole year!
- COCONUT OIL-Despite mainstream media trying to debase its amazing health benefits, coconut oil remains one of the best natural saturated fats you can consume. Coconut oil strengthens the immune system thanks to its antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, which have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. I plop a hefty spoonful of this coconut oil into my morning coffee everyday, and the kids smoothies!
- REAL FOOD DIET – probably the most important thing to keeping your family healthy!
Don’t forget EXERCISE up to 60 minutes a day and SLEEP (9-11 hours for kids , 8 hours for adults) is essential for a strong immune system and overall better health.
Kids and adults are going to get sick but its NOT NORMAL if all winter long you or your kids are chronically sick with colds, runny nose, cough, etc. Stop the misery and get on track with immune boosting foods and the right supplements/home remedies so you can pull out of this vicious cycle for good!
Meds are helpful in emergency but using them constantly can have serious side effects, especially with children.
If you do come down with something by using these home remedies the symptoms will be less intense and your body will be supported in healing therefore the duration of illness is shorter.
Its time to take back your health this winter!
Be Well! 🙂
Real food Real Fitness and Susie R. are affiliated with several different brands and companies. This means that sometimes if one of my links are clicked or a certain code is used, I may make a commission. This is used to help run and support my blog! All my opinions are exclusively my own.