In many of my blog posts I have extensively covered the benefits of eating healthy fats. Sadly people still are brainwashed (thanks to the USDA, outdated doctors and dietitians) that low-fat foods are somehow healthier and helpful in weightloss.
GUESS WHAT? CONVENTIONAL WEIGHT LOSS ADVICE IS WRONG. ALL WRONG! This misguided advice has been a driving force in our obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer epidemics. If you want to lose weight and regain your health you need to RETRAIN your thinking about food and FAT.
I am here to tell you all FAT IS YOUR FRIEND. Actually eating MORE fat everyday and LESS grain carbohydrates will lead to better health and weight-loss.
Fat is NOT your enemy!
Paleo or Primitive type of diets emphasize HEALTHY fat and protein as the main source of food intake along with raw fruits, veggies, nuts or cooked veggies to. Fats keep you more satisfied and fuller for longer periods of time so you eat less overall. As you eat more fats and fewer carbs your body goes into a more efficient and preferred way of burning stored fat for energy.
Healthy Fats Include
|Olives and Olive oil (make sure it’s certified and pure)||Coconuts and coconut oil (excellent for cooking as it can withstand higher temperatures without oxidizing)||Butter made from raw grass-fed organic milk|
|Raw nuts, such as macadamia and pecans||Seeds like black sesame, cumin, pumpkin and hemp seeds||Avocados|
|Grass fed meats||Lard and tallow (excellent for cooking)||Ghee (clarified butter)|
|Raw cacao butter||Organic pastured egg yolks||Animal-based omega-3 fat such as krill oil and small fatty fish like sardines and anchovies|
PROBLEMATIC FATS Include
Corn, Soybean, Canola, Safflower, and Sunflower oils. AVOID THESE!!!
- Contribute to heart disease
- Trans fats
- Highly refined polyunsaturated
- Driving force in our obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer epidemics.
Here are 20 ways to Ditch the Low Fat mentality and Embrace More Healthy Fats Daily.
- Ditch the Pam spray. Use a good pat of butter,avocado oil,or coconut oil to cook your food. Go ahead it won’t hurt you!
- Switch your skim milk out for Organic Whole FULL FAT milk (preferably raw)
- Ditch the low-fat cheese sticks for a nice raw gouda. Slice it up with an apple for a snack. Gouda is high in vitamin K which is a vitality important nutrient many are deficient in.
- Eat REAL organic grass-fed FULL FAT plain yogurt! Its delicious! Add in berries for a real treat! Get rid of any and all low-fat sugary yogurt for good.
- Ditch the low-fat salad dressing. Make your own salad dressings with REAL olive oil and good vinegar.
- Stop reading labels for fat grams and start looking at ingredients. Two tablespoons of almond butter has 17 grams of fat but is a much healthier and fulfilling snack than any 100 calorie fat-free snack pack.
- Go beyond the breast! Seek out pastured poultry and eat all the parts of chicken including the thighs, wings, drumsticks , even the skin! These parts contain some of the most crucial nourishing fats our bodies need!
- Don’t drain the fats off your meats. Its messy and unnecessary! If you are buying organic pastured meats you don’t need to.
- Eat WHOLE eggs!!! A whole pastured egg is a complete food! The yolk is the most nutritious part.
- Eat more bacon and less toast
- Coconut oil is your friend! Seriously its a superfood so eat more of it!
- Put REAL cream in your coffee and throw away any low-fat artificial creamers.
Lastly, here’s what you tell your friends and family when they say eating fat is bad for your health….
Walter Willet, chairman of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard publicly made this statement after a twenty-year review of research that FATS, specifically saturated fats, are NOT the cause of cardiovascular disease. To further the point there are populations of people that are extremely healthy despite a diet based on saturated fats. An example of this would be the people who live in Tokelau (a territory off of New Zealand) and eat a diet that is 50% saturated fats, and they have cardiovascular health that is superior compared to any other groups of people.
The good fats found in pasture-fed meat, wild-caught fish, pasture-fed raw dairy, unprocessed oils, and other higher fat foods have gotten MISTAKENLY lumped together with the unhealthy fats and oils found in most processed foods sold in grocery stores or prepared in restaurants and fast food.
The truth bomb….It is trans fats in PROCESSED FOODS that causes plaque on arteries. It is high blood sugar which comes from eating carbohydrates in the form of WHITE FLOUR and SUGAR that causes thickened arteries. If you eat a lot of processed carbohydrates you produce a lot of insulin. High insulin raises the risk of heart disease.
Bottom Line: Eating the wrong fats and processed food will make you fat, clog your arteries, and put you at risk for developing disease.
Boom! There you have it! The REAL truth !
Be Well 🙂